Antivirus for Windows
The Microsoft Antivirus Protection suite provides full malware (antivirus and spyware) protection. It contains advanced protection features to protect you and our campus community.
Texas State-owned Windows computers
Microsoft Endpoint Protection is available to all Texas State-owned Windows computers that are on the TXSTATE domain (see Installation Instructions below).
Personally-owned Windows computers
Microsoft Security Essentials is free and available via Microsoft's website for use on personal Windows Vista and 7 computers.
Windows Defender is automatically installed on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 computers but must be turned on.
For more information, visit the Microsoft Endpoint Protection website or the Microsoft Security Essentials website. Learn more about protecting your Windows computer at Microsoft's Malware Protection Center.
Before You Begin
- For Texas State-owned computers: Your computer must be a member of the Texas State (TXSTATE) domain. (Verify your computer's domain.)
- Your computer must be managed. Most computers on the TXSTATE domain are managed. (If you do not have Software Center, your computer is not managed.)
- For personally-owned computers: Visit the Microsoft Security Essentials website.
If you have questions about these prerequisites, please contact your department's technical support person (TSP) or the IT Assistance Center (ITAC) before proceeding.
For Texas State-owned computers only:
1. Click your Start button , and then All Programs.
2. Click the Microsoft System Center 2012 folder.
3. Click the Configuration Manager folder.
4. Click Software Center.
5. In the Available Software tab, locate and install the desired software.
Got Questions? Visit the Software Center Info page.