Old or used computer equipment can either be transferred to another university employee or sent to Materials Management for disposal.
If the computer is being transferred to another university employee (or student worker), it is recommended that you use ITAC’s Re-Image Services to reload the operating system and standard software. If you intend to transfer the computer as is, a Software License Assignment form must be submitted. Also, if the computer is being transferred to a different responsible cost center, an Equipment Transfer form must be submitted.
Transfer for Disposal
Before Texas State computer equipment is transferred to Materials Management for disposal, the computer's hard drive must be removed by an ITAC representative for proper disposal.
- Request Pick-up of Surplus Equipment - computers, printers, or other electronic devices are being picked up, ITAC will contact you to make arrangements for proper equipment disposal.
- Note: Software License Assignment - if software is being transferred from the equpiment being picked up to another computer, please complete and submit this form.
- Equipment Transfer - complete this form and include it with the items that Materials Management will pick up.
Why the University Requires Hard Drive Destruction
- All stored data actually remains on your computer even after you delete files, empty the trash, or reformat drives; drive destruction eliminates that problem.
- Ensuring that no sensitive data leaves the university protects our campus community.
- Drive destruction keeps users from violating campus software license agreements which protects employees and the university.
If you have questions, contact the IT Assistance Center.